Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lobster...as common as bologna? yikes!

To a large extent, in our part of the country, we're somewhat buffered from world events but now that the global recession is in full swing, we're also feeling the effects of it. Take lobster, for example. Lobster (a mainstay of Bay of Fundy fisheries and a key factor in rural economic survival) has long been considered a luxury food item.

Recently, one of my aunts reminded me that in the 1950s kids who took lobster sandwiches to school were considered not rich enough to afford a 'better meat'. Well, with the current rock-bottom lobster prices, I'm wondering if it's about to switch statuses with bologna. Check out this article ~ yikes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh what I wouldn't give for a taste of a Nova Scotia lobster right about now!! My uncle steams them in Bay of Fundy water! Extra salty soooooo good!